This is a fast and simple breakfast to put together, using just a toaster and a microwave oven. The tomatoes are “good for you” as one of the 5-a-day, the toast is a cheap filler food and the eggs, with protein, are supposed to be a good healthy breakfast to eat as protein keeps you feeling more full for longer.
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 knob of butter
- Salt/pepper to taste, optional
- Brown sauce, optional, to serve
- Toast two pieces of toast in a toaster, there’s no need to add any butter as you’ll have toppings on the toast.
- Grab two mugs and empty a tin of tinned tomatoes into one mug – you can strain off all the tomato juice and freeze that, or put it in the fridge to use later – it’s handy to use as a sauce base, or just to throw into a slow cooker recipe. There’s no point wasting the tomato juice and throwing it down the sink!
- Break two eggs into the second mug and whisk them with a fork – you can add pepper/salt if you wish, I never do.
- Microwave the two mugs side by side for 1½ minutes. Stir/chop up the scrambled egg; stir/turn the tomatoes. Put both mugs back into the microwave and microwave in blasts of 30 seconds at a time until they’re both cooked. Add a knob of butter to the scrambled egg and use a fork to break it up.
- Cut the toast and place it on your plate, top with the tinned tomatoes and your scrambled eggs.
I’ll usually add some brown sauce to the top!
Menu Cost 55p:
This uses a whole tin of tomatoes, which can be bought for 31p/can; two eggs can cost 16p; two pieces of bread are about 4p. So I’ve rounded the cost of this cooked breakfast up to 55p to include the butter and any brown sauce used on top!