An easy microwave cheese & onion sandwich recipe that is a great snack at home, or can even easily be bagged up and taken to work if you’ve a toaster and microwave available! This is quick mug cooking, using a mug to create this popular hot sandwich filling! The best way to whip up a snack in a commercial break if you’re watching the telly in the evening!
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 small onion, or ½ a medium onion, sliced
- 30-50 grams of cheese
- Tiny splash of oil
- Entirely optional: tiny bit of mustard (powder or ready made), tiny splash of Worcestershire sauce (for that Welsh Rarebit twist)
- Just pop the sliced onion into a microwave safe mug with a TINY splash of oil, then stir so the onion is coated in the oil. Optionally microwave the onion for 1 minute on full power.
- Add the cheese to the mug – the smaller you cut it the faster it will cook, so you can grate it or roughly cut it into lumps. Add any additional/optional flavourings you like, such as mustard or a tiny splash of Worcestershire sauce (I usually don’t bother)
- Microwave the cheese and onion sandwich filling in the mug, stirring the mix every 30 seconds until the cheese is melted.
- Toast your bread.
- Pour the hot cheese and onion mix over one slice of the bread, pop the second slice on top. Cut, serve, eat!
TIP: When you make this mix it can be a little runny and you might wonder if it’ll all fit onto the toast. If you let the hot cheese and onion cool down for 1 minute it’ll become less runny. I’m generally too impatient to wait!