This toaster and microwave fast cooked breakfast hits the spot!
I love a cooked breakfast, something hot and tasty – rather than a cold breakfast. A good hot breakfast inside me fills me up for so much longer than anything else. But, time’s short in the mornings. Here’s one simple and fast cooked breakfast I make with just the toaster and microwave! If you don’t have a toaster and just have a microwave, you can make this with the un-toasted muffin straight from the packet. Muffins are cooked, we just toast them for preference, not because they need to be hot/heated!
I’ll eat this meal as breakfast, lunch, my evening meal or even a late night snack!
So here’s how to make this belly filling great start to the day:
- One English muffin, sliced in half.
- Half a 400 gram tin of baked beans
- Two eggs
- A little oil/butter for oiling
- Put the sliced muffin into the toaster.
- Put the half tin of beans into a microwave safe bowl or jug, cover the dish and microwave for 1 minute.
- While the beans are heating up, I prepare the poached eggs for the microwave, using a poaching pouch and a lidded bowl. The method for that is here: Poach Pod Poached Eggs.
- Remove the baked beans from the microwave and put the poached eggs into the microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir the beans, recover and put them back in the microwave once the eggs come out (after 1 minute) and microwave the beans for another minute.
- During this time the eggs should have finished resting/cooking, so remove the poach pods from the water.
- Pop the toasted English muffin onto your plate, or in your bowl. No need to butter them.
- Spoon the baked beans on top of the muffin and top with the poached eggs!
Optional: Sometimes I might just have a splash of brown sauce on this too!
Muffins come in a pack of four and can typically be bought at £0.14 each. Two eggs will cost me £0.13. Half a tin of baked beans costs £0.13. The splash of oil is too small to cost. The cost of his hot meal is about £0.40! If you eat this as your dinner, then it’s a frugal, budget friendly, “50p dinner” winner!