One of 10 a Day! In an attempt to eat more fruit and veg, many of us are looking for easy swaps and easy solutions. I’ve always relied heavily on bread and sandwiches – so I realised that one way to increase my fruit consumption would be to explore more sandwich fillings. I’ve always enjoyed a banana sandwich! They’re under-rated in my opinion, but were a staple snack food when I was growing up.
Today, therefore, it will be banana sandwich for a snack – it’ll be tasty and fill me up and I’ll feel I scored one small win in the fight against food shamers 🙂
Bananas are easily available and quite affordable. They keep well too, so it’s easier to find them, buy them and use them up before they go off.
How to Make a Banana Sandwich:
- Spread butter, margarine or other spread of your choice onto bread.
- Slice the banana up and place it across the bread.
- Fit the lid to the sandwich, cut and eat!
What Else Goes With Banana?
In addition to the banana, I can mix in other fillings at some point:
- Banana and Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Banana and Nutella Sandwich, or any Chocolate Spread
- Banana with Raisins/Sultanas Sandwich.
- Banana with Apricot Jam Sandwich.
So I’m not just “stuck with” plain banana!
Sometimes just eating a banana doesn’t seem “enough” as a meal – and if I’ve got bread to use up, then it makes sense to make a banana sandwich; I probably have about 3-4 of these a year!
Another favourite dessert I make is a banana custard, so I bet that’ll be on the menu later this week.