This is an easy chilli & cheddar cheese topped potato that uses the microwave to steam the jacket potatoes – topping it with a simple slow cooker chilli con carne and grated cheddar cheese. I made the chilli con carne in the slow cooker the other week, then froze this final portion as I had food overload at the time and couldn’t eat it all.
If the chilli has been cooked before then this would be a microwave meal from the freezer, served in under 20 minutes.
- 2 medium potatoes, steam in the microwave to get better texture
- 330 grams chilli con carne
- 30 grams cheddar cheese, grated.
- I made the chilli in the slow cooker – I started cooking it before I’d even bought most of the ingredients! So this was a lazy chilli 🙂 I had frozen one portion, so I microwaved this hot on full power in 8 minutes, stirring it every 2-3 minutes.
- Microwave steamed potatoes take just 10-12 minutes to produce soft anf fluffy baked potatoes with great texture. I alternated between reheating the chilli con carne and steaming the potatoes.
- 30 grams of cheddar cheese is a portion – and that’s what I put on the top of this dish of hot chilli today! Grating the cheddar makes a little amount look like a lot more!
These potatoes were Maris Piper potatoes I bought at Xmas when they were on offer at 29p for 2.5Kg, I somehow ended up buying three bags, but I’m now close to the end of cooking that lot, although one batch was mashed potatoes, which I’ve popped into the freezer, so they still need to be eaten.
A real winter warmer!