This is a no prep method to cook swede in a microwave – and it’s more recently been named the Singing Swede. I’ve been using this method since the mid 1980s, when I first saw it in a microwave cookbook.
Singing Swede Recipe:
To make microwave swede mash, all you do is:
- Open the microwave door
- Place your whole swede in the microwave oven
- Set the dial to high and microwave for 20 minutes
- Check the middle’s cooked by sliding a knife in, microwave longer if required
- Cut the top off the swede and use a spoon to scoop it out. You can then add any seasoning, or butter, depending on your personal taste.
That’s pretty much it. Many people think the swede might explode, but it won’t. The root section’s already been cut off, so the original skin’s already been broken; the excess liquid doesn’t build up in the skin as it’s able to leech out during the cooking process. What makes food explode is that steam can’t escape fast enough, swede lets the steam out through the skin easily enough.
Microwave Swede Mash Cooking Notes:
- Try to stand the swede upright, if you lay it on its side it’ll rock and move around
- Stand the swede on a dish if you want to save on washing up as it does dribble liquid from the bottom.
How Long to Microwave a Swede so it’s Mash?
The size of the swede makes a difference to how long it takes to cook. I do tend to use smaller swedes, so 20 minutes is more than enough, often 15 minutes is fine.
Benefits of Microwaving a Whole Swede
With this method, the benefits are:
- You don’t have to peel the swede – a task which is tiresome and quite hard to do.
- You don’t have to boil a whole pan of water, producing steam, so it’s good for reducing damp and condensation in your house.
- The microwave has a timer on it, meaning you can put it in there and forget it!
Still scared your swede will explode?
Well, there’s only one thing for it then – just because a method exists, it doesn’t mean that’s the only way to do it.
If you love the idea of simply putting a whole swede in the microwave to cook, but are too petrified to do this, then just cut the swede in half and pop it into a dish, covered with cling-film. There you go, that won’t explode will it!
If you pop the scooped out flesh of the swede into a lidded container, you can store it in the fridge for 3-4 days, ready to microwave for 2-3 minutes to serve with your dinner. I use this for Christmas dinner and I’ll be making my mashed swede on Christmas Eve.
Microwave Swede Mash Recipe
Take your cooked swede, add salt/pepper to season, add a knob of butter, mash them together. Serve!
At Christmas time, many people like to add a little grated nutmeg to the mix, but that’s optional.