Arriving home tired from a long journey yesterday I just wanted a “quick fix” meal, so it was time for a warming bowl of easy 2 minute pea and mint soup, food cheats style!
This is really fast and frugal to put together, I’ve written up the “recipe” before for just Pea Soup, but this time I wanted something a little more, an extra “zing” of taste.
So I opened the fridge and reached for my jar of mint jelly. I’ve got mint jelly in the fridge as it’s a great staple that I use in the slow cooker with lamb mince. But today the mint jelly was going to meet pea soup!
Tinned vegetables are a perfectly legitimate way of getting some great nutrition. Don’t dismiss them because of an out-dated idea that all tinned food is bad for you!
- 1 can of mushy peas, or marrowfat peas
- 2-3 teaspoons mint jelly
- I made this soup in my microwave soup mug – I’ve noticed they’re cropping up everywhere now, so they’re really on trend! I emptied the whole can of mushy peas into the soup mug. If you’re using marrowfat peas then judge how much of the liquid you want to include based on how it looks and how much of it there is. Some cans are stuffed with marrowfat peas, some have too much liquid, so just go by what you think.
- I then added 2-3 teaspoons of mint jelly and stirred it through. I then fitted the lid to the microwave soup mug and microwaved it for one minute.
- After 1 minute stir your soup and put it back into the microwave for a further minute.
- After 2 minutes in total, stir the soup and test for how hot it is – if it’s not hot enough, microwave it for one more minute.
I served my pea and mint soup with toast. You don’t even have to eat it from a proper bowl – I just did that to take a photo as the red soup mug doesn’t photograph that well!
These are great for a workplace microwave lunch: simply take the soup mug to work with you, with 2-3 teaspoons of mint jelly and the peas already inside. These custom made microwave soup mugs have a lock n lock style lid, so they’re leak-proof!