White sauce for one person is easy with this recipe that uses a mug to make a generous portion of white sauce for one person using the microwave. You can halve this recipe if you simply want a small amount of white sauce to pour over a portion of fish or chicken, maybe adding in parsley or peppercorns if you wish.
If you’re making a single portion of sauce, a microwave is not only the easiest way to make sauce, but it makes the most sense as you’re dealing with a tiny amount, so a small microwave ramekin could be used to make this.
The recipe below gives 150ml of sauce, but can be halved to make an even smaller quantity:
- 25 grams butter or margarine
- 15-20 grams flour
- 100ml milk
- Using a small microwave safe jug, mug or small bowl, melt the butter or margarine in the microwave, this will take 15-30 seconds.
- Add the flour and use a fork to mix the butter and flour until they’re smooth.
- Slowly add the milk, mixing it through with the fork so it stays smooth.
- Microwave the sauce in 15-30 second blasts, mixing it with a fork each time to keep it lump free. After about 2 minutes the sauce will be cooked and ready to serve
You control how thick the sauce is by adding the milk slowly as you go, until it’s the right thickness – as it cooks it will thicken up a little more, but you can keep adding a tiny splash of milk to loosen it up as you go!
You can add any flavours you wish to the sauce before pouring!
This is a great sauce that you can use however you wish, including:
- Add cheese and you have a cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese
- Add parsley to make a parsley sauce for one portion of fish
- Use as a bechamel sauce for a lasagne for one person
- Add to cauliflower and broccoli to make a cheese sauce for a cauliflower & broccoli bake
- Use to make a cheese sauce for macaroni cheese.
Real White Sauce
This is a real white sauce recipe – it’s not a cutdown microwave version. This sauce recipe simply uses regular ingredients and uses the microwave to bring them together easily – it is therefore OK to use this sauce in or on any dishes such as lasagnes, bakes, or as a pouring sauce. The only “cheat” here is using the microwave instead of a saucepan on the hob!