I love hoisin sauce and I love meatballs, so meatballs in hoisin sauce has to be a winner, right! Well, in the spirit of cheating, you can create this hot snack (or main meal) easily at home.
Plenty of supermarkets sell ready-cooked meatballs – and there are also bottles of hoisin sauce. And, yes, it’s really that simple…
Ready-cooked meatballs just need reheating. While you can reheat them in the oven, or in a frying pan, for me the quickest/best way to do it is by using my microwave. I am cooking for one, so 3 smallish meatballs is enough – that’s far too few to justify using an oven or frying pan.
- Prick your ready-cooked meatballs with a fork and put them into a small microwaveable pot/dish that has a cover.
- Pour some shop-bought Hoisin Sauce over the meatballs, turning them to coat them, then place the lid loosely on your microwaveable pot, so steam can still escape.
- Reheat the meatballs for 2-3 minute in the microwave on high.
- Slice the meatballs and use in a sandwich, or a pitta bread or sub.
- Serve on top of some instant noodles, or boiled rice.
- Serve with mashed potato and peas as a main meal – you are even allowed to use instant mash and frozen peas for this!
Image: My microwaved meatballs with hoisin sauce.