This simple chicken pie with white sauce is a single portion, serves one recipe, I made to use up some of the leftover chicken from a chicken breast cooked in the slow cooker, as well as some leftover swede and potato mash. The white sauce for the chicken pie was made from 3 basic ingredients as a microwave white sauce for a pie in under 3 minutes.
If you’re cooking for one, life can seem like an endless conveyor belt of using up what you cooked in the last 2-4 days, so it’s good to have a few quick ways to turn the leftovers into a new meal quickly so you don’t simply microwave the leftovers as they are.
- 75-100 grams cooked chicken – either leftovers, or you can buy ready cooked chicken packs
- Swede and potato mash, enough to cover the pie dish you’re using
- 30-50 grams frozen peas, or leftover peas if you have them
- White sauce ingredients: milk, plain flour, butter – plus ¼ teaspoon of mustard powder for a little extra flavour.
- Boil the kettle and defrost the frozen peas using boiling water in a mug
- Cut the chicken into small pieces, you can slice it, or chunk it – it’s your choice. Microwave the chicken with a little boiling water (to keep it moist) for 2-3 minutes, ensuring it’s thoroughly reheated. If you’re making a bigger pie, you’ll use more chicken, so will need to cook the chicken for a little longer.
- Drain the peas and put the peas and chicken into an ovenproof small dish. I’ve used a small, 16cm, Falcon enamel pie dish.
- Make your white sauce, in the microwave, by melting a knob of butter then adding a teaspoon of plain flour, beating until the mixture is smooth then adding milk and microwaving the sauce, as per the Microwave White Sauce recipe – but as this white sauce is for a chicken pie, add a little extra “taste” by adding ¼ teaspoon of dry mustard powder, or a little wet mustard – just be aware of how thick the sauce is and how thick you like it in your chicken pie. Pour the white sauce over the chicken and peas.
- Spoon your leftover potato and swede mash over the top of the chicken pie.
- Bake in an oven, or a mini oven, at 180-190°C for 15-20 minutes until the top is brown. Alternatively you can put it under a hot grill to brown the top. As the ingredients have already been cooked, you’re just trying to brown and crisp the top of the pie.
Serve. I had chips with mine.
You can use this white sauce recipe to make any chicken pie, or chicken and ham pie – or even a vegetable pie. The white sauce recipe works for any white sauce for a pie and takes just 3 minutes to make in the microwave, a real “go to” method for a smooth, lump free sauce every time.