You can microwave Quorn and quickly create a tasty lunch, or snack meal. There are many variations of this recipe that I’ve been using for donkeys’ years, here’s one variation of a microwave quorn chilli that serves one, but it can be scaled up to however many portions you need. Just add in an additional 1-2 minutes of microwave time if you’re feeding 4-6 people!
I have some great microwave cookware, including a selection of Microwave Noodle Bowls – perfect for making a microwave meal for 1-2 people, or taking to work to heat up a lunch if you’ve a small kitchen available to you there!
Microwave Quorn Chilli for One
- 100g Quorn mince, frozen*
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (1 teaspoon if you like it HOT)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of dried onions (or 1 teaspoon of onion powder)
- 1 tomato, I used four cherry tomatoes, chopped/sliced
- 5-6 tablespoons of water
- 3-4 tablespoons of frozen peas
- Place the frozen* Quorn mince, chilli powder, dried onions, tomatoes and water into a microwave safe bowl or jug. Cover.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir in the frozen peas and microwave for a further 1½-2 minutes. I actually defrost the peas, rather than adding them in frozen, but you don’t have to.
- Leave it to stand for a minute or so, giving the flavours more time to infuse.
Serve with garlic bread, or a bread roll, pitta bread, flatbreads, naan bread or rice, noodles, couscous, or even tortilla chips. Or, just top with some grated cheese and eat straight from the Microwave Noodle Bowl to save on washing up! Today I ate just the Quorn chilli, it was enough to fill me up!
*I use frozen Quorn mince, but the fresh can be used too. Reduce the cooking time by about a minute as fresh Quorn doesn’t need to be defrosted.
I wait until Quorn mince is on offer at half price, making it just 30p/100g, then I stock up with 2-3 large bags.
Calories: There are 105 calories in 100g of Quorn. Few in the rest of the ingredients. I’d guesstimate this at being 150 calories in total. So, an unbelievably filling 150 calories’ worth! I’m counting calories as I’m saving up for a pie!
Five A Day? I am not known for knowing, or caring, whether I’ve had my five a day 🙂 That doesn’t make me a bad person, so get over it. However, I figure this must count for three of them due to: onions, tomatoes, peas.
Review: This microwave Quorn chilli is fast, hot and tasty. If you use crispy fried onions then the taste of those really pulls through! The amount of Quorn could easily be reduced to half if you add in more vegetables or beans!
Total cost: £0.50