This microwave cottage pie with Quorn mince will be on your plate in well under 10 minutes! A perfect quick and easy meal for one, or the whole family. I made mine to serve one, but it can easily be scaled up by simply microwaving it a little longer.
Having taken a look through the freezer, I’ve realised that I’ve got three large (500g) bags of Quorn to get through! So, today, it was my standard Quick & Easy Cottage Pie made with Quorn mince for lunch! No fuss, no extra points for presentation, simply a fast and tasty hot lunch in under 10 minutes!
- 80grams frozen Quorn mince. You can use fresh Quorn too.
- 2 tablespoons of dried onions (or 1 tablespoon of onion powder)
- 2 teaspoons instant gravy granules (or 1-2 stock cubes)
- A splash of brown sauce, ketchup, or Worcestershire sauce (what’ve you got?) – this is optional
- 1/3rd cup of water
- 1/3rd tin of peas or tinned carrots (chop up small)
- Instant mashed potato & butter for the cottage pie topping.
- Add the Quorn, dried onions, instant gravy granules, sauce and water into a microwave safe bowl or jug. I used my Microwave Noodle Bowl as I find these handy for microwave cooking.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir.
- Microwave for 2 minutes
- Add the peas (or carrots). I’ve used tinned peas, but you can use frozen peas if that’s what you’ve got.
- Microwave for 1 minute.
- Let it stand for 1-2 minutes. Now’s a good time to be making up that instant mash!
Pour out into a dish and top with the instant mash, made up with a knob of butter!
Quorn mince topped with mashed potato, makes this a quick and easy Microwave Quorn Cottage Pie!
I usually just throw ingredients together, without any measuring, but I’ve now started to measure them, so I can add the ingredients here. On reflection there were a few too many peas in this 🙂
It was very tasty though. I topped the mince with instant mashed potato. I ate just the cottage pie, but you could add a side serving of baked beans, or top it with cheese and grill it if you like.
Compared to a ready meal cottage pie for one from a supermarket, this was a lot tastier and filling. Far more satisfying – and cheaper.
This has also reduced my plastics waste – not that I’m all green and hippy or anything, but that’s one ready meal carton not sent to recycling.
Quorn £0.24, onions £0.01, instant gravy £0.01, peas £0.06, potato topping/butter £0.10.