Easy sausage rolls – what’s not to like about that idea? Hot and tasty, any size you want them.
You can rush into a shop and grab some ready made sausage rolls, or even a bag of frozen sausage rolls – but they won’t be as nice as these easy sausage rolls that are just 2 minutes’ extra work!
If you buy a pack of 8 sausages and a box of ready rolled pastry – puff pastry is my favourite, but you can use any ready rolled pastry for this – then all you have to do is the following:
- Lay out your pastry on the worktop.
- Take a sharp knife and slit down the skin of each sausage, remove and discard the skins
- Lay out the sausages on the pastry, leaving enough gap between them to be able to roll the pastry round each one – depending on the size of your sausages there’s a slim chance you might have to roll the pastry so it’s another 1″ longer, but usually they’ll just fit.
- Cut between the sausages and roll them up in the pastry.
You can give them a milk wash or an egg wash – but there’s no need if you’re in a hurry or simply don’t have these!
- Place the sausage rolls, join side down, onto a baking sheet or in whatever dish you’ve got – so they’ve got room to grow during cooking.
- Place the baking tray in the middle of an oven that’s been pre-heated to about 200°C/390°F or 180°C in a fan oven or toaster oven/mini oven.
It’s as easy as that. Once cooked, leave them to cool down for 5-10 minutes and eat them immediately, or store them in an airtight tin or container, where they’ll keep fresh for 2-3 days if kept in the fridge.
Variations: If you’ve got a favourite chutney, simply spread a little of that onto the pastry before you add the sausages! Caramelised onion chutney’s good, as are some spicy chutneys.
Freezing Sausage Rolls:
You can freeze these sausage rolls by simply wrapping them in freezer bags, or into a plastic container. Defrost before eating, overnight in the fridge. It’s also good to reheat them in the microwave (if you don’t mind the pastry getting a little soggy), or pop into the oven to warm for 10 minutes!